Monday, May 5, 2008

90s Kid

It's 3pm and school has just finished. Big lunch was way cool, Samantha let me push in the canteen line so I could get my Zooper Dooper. Instead of giving me a backage in the canteen line, she gave me a frontage. It was because I split my apricot log with her the other day. Our canteen was probably the best in the west. Bubble-O-Bill's, Chocolate Buds, Yummo Milk, Pizza Pockets, Chicken Niggets, Zooper Doopers, Wizz Fizz. One time, I didn't realise Zooper Doopers went up 5c so I asked the canteen lady to cut it in half so I could split it with a friend. One of my favourite people ever at lunch time was Justine. She made worms by squeezing her Vegemite crackers together, then she'd lick the worms off. Everyone except me thought it was gross. We loved Vegemite. We were the only people we knew who could eat it on its own.

Another reason school was awesome today: Healthy Harold Day. Healthy Harold Day was the best because you got to miss class to sit in a tiny caravan and listen to a talking giraffe. I had to sit next to Milan because Justine was making me laugh too much. I hated sitting next to Milan because he always wore his Chicago Bulls hat, even though it was all ripped, and he was always the first to give me "a pinch and a punch for the first day of the month - no returns"- and it actually hurt. He looked at me and said "you're real pretty. NOT!" and started laughing with his friends. I just looked at him and said "That's so funny, I forgot to laugh" and turned away. Stupid.Healthy Harold was running late, so Miss Goodwin made us sing a ram sam sam, a ram sam sam, guli guli guli guli guli, ram sam sam, a rafi, a rafi, guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam. I hated singing that! I liked open, shut them better.

Whenever I got home from school I'd change into my bike shorts and Tweety Bird t-shirt and sit on the couch. ABC was the greatest station in the world. I loved when John was on Playschool, he always made me laugh. My favourite Playschool pairing was Monica and John. I also didn't mind Noni, and that bald guy named George. Sometimes I invited Justine over to watch Blinky Bill, Mr Squiggle and Gumby. SuperTed, Widget The World Watcher and Samurai Pizza Cats. Banana Man, Bangers and Mash and The Raggy Dolls. Johnson and Friends, Noddy and Humphrey B. Bear. The Secret World of Alex Mack. Rocko’s Modern Life, Rugrats and Hey Arnold!. A*mazing. The Ferrals. Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and Lift Off (that show with the dirty, eyeless doll named EC).

Mum used to tell me I'd get square eyes if I watched TV for too long, so I used to go next door to play the Nintendo. We always made sure to blow on the Nintendo cartridge before putting it in the console to make sure it worked properly. I always left their house at 6:00 because his parents liked to watch the news with Brian Henderson. The Channel 9 logo had dots next to it and the Channel 7 logo wasn’t a folded piece of paper.

I liked Wednesday afternoons especially because Mum did shopping on Wednesdays, and there was always the best food to eat when I got home. I always begged her to buy those 6 packs of Coco Pops, Fruit Loops, Frosties, Rice Bubbles, Nutri-Grain and Corn Flakes so I could have a different one each day, and then I'd open the packets really carefully and remove the cereal so I'd have a mini wardrobe afterwards. She hardly ever bought them though. She also hated when I stayed up past 8:30 because then it was difficult to get me up for school the next day. I liked getting up super early to see Gibbo on Agros Cartoon Connection though, so she didn't have to worry. Sometimes when Mum fell asleep early I'd check to see if SBS had any naked people so I could laugh about it in class the next day. Alas, I was face to face with Jana Wendt on SBS World News. Screw that, I'm going to bed.
Not.

By Leesy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is brilliant.
the memories!

Anfang said...

i love TEETH and this leesy lady is rad ;)